Monday, November 21, 2011

Winter Greens Part 2

After I planted the cold frame and wrote the first blog about it, I attended the Atlantic Canada Organic Regional Network's conference  http://www.acornorganic.org/ and learned from Niki Jabbour's workshop http://yearroundveggiegardener.blogspot.com/ that winter greens need to be started about 45 days before November 5th for our area.  The 45 days was for lettuce she plants, so I am assuming other greens are similar to that amount of time.  I guess I need to look up the days for each cultivar I am planting.  Anyway at the time during the workshop I thought "oops" to myself but then a man in the room asked whether you could plant things now or not.  Her answer was "sure go right ahead.  If things don't get as big as you want, come February they'll start to grow again because the sunlight starts to last longer then."   Phew.  I thought I had made a mistake and did all that planting and preparation for nothing.  The beauty of the work I do is that most of the time experiments work - seeds just want to grow - and the rest of the time mistakes are pretty easy to fix.

 The Sunday of the conference I went out to check on my frame and low and behold, I had emerging greens.  Woo Hoo!
13Nov11
  So that date was November 13.  Every now and then I open the frame on a warm day but mostly I keep it closed so I don't forget and leave it open later than I want.  These are very hearty greens but I want them to really grow as much as possible before the winter sets in for good.  We have had an amazing warm fall but right now it is getting cold.  Today is November 21 and the temperature is hovering around freezing.  The sun is out so it is probably a lot warmer in the sun.  I opened it today but I'll go out and close it pretty soon.  For some strange reason I think I'm giving it fresh air.  The warm fall has caused my garlic to sprout and that is NOT a good thing.  I'll have to find out if I need to snip the sprouts or if there is anything I should do.  I love being able to put the question out to my other farmer friends and see what their answers are to my questions. I love it especially when they differ because that's how this all works.  Experiments and personal choices!  So I took today's picture and things are getting bigger.

21Nov11
Close up same day
The right side of the frame is seeded with mache which takes a lot longer to emerge but I am optimistic it is coming along,  Mache is probably the hardiest of the plants so once it gets going it should be the easiest to harvest on the coldest days.

I've been getting hired to do presentations at different venues and it's fun to spread the word of urban farming. I was at an elementary school last week and this weekend I will be at a Green Living Fair.  Besides my presentation, I showed the school kids my vermicomposter and the worms, of course.  I left them with some worms and a container to get them started composting with them.  I'm meeting with some university students this week regarding their project on Food Sustainability in Dartmouth.  They are collecting information about what is happening in Dartmouth around food security.  I really should be working on my presentation coming up so I'll end this here.  

Happy fall time to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment